Ascension is an early-stage venture capital firm built and managed by exited entrepreneurs to back the next generation of tech and impact founders. Since 2015, Ascension has invested in 150+ start-ups across its (S)EIS & Institutional funds – our specialist approach and extensive sector reach allow us to identify and scale pioneering tech enterprises. With over £70m under management, Ascension is one of the most active early stage investors in the UK with a particular focus on backing impact businesses leveraging the power of technology to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. For more information, see ascension.vc.
📍 NOTE: This is an entry-level position with a clear and direct path to principal and beyond. Ascension is an entrepreneurial environment where self-starters will thrive and internal progression is very possible, with a timeline to Senior Associate after 2 years. This role has an annual salary of £35,000 as well as carried interest across the funds this role covers (Ascension SEIS Fund and Ascension EIS Fund).
- Pipeline Sourcing & Management: deal-flow research, managing in-bound opportunities, direct outreach and ecosystem relations (e.g. attend industry events and demo days, organise VC & Angel investor meetings, build and maintain relationships with accelerators, etc.)
- Deal Analysis: perform analysis on potential investee companies, draft Investment Committee Papers, including market research and financial analysis
- Deal Execution: manage and keep track of the execution process, including keeping all internal investment systems/software up to date. Produce and negotiate Term Sheets, help set company objectives and KPIs
- Database Management and Portfolio Support: manage file repository and CRM systems, and assist with internal and portfolio events and news
- Partnerships: help build partnerships with industry stakeholders to help strengthen Ascension’s deal-flow
- Research: seek & research new sectors ripe for investment, keeping up to speed with sector trends and market performance of different products. Keep the investment team updated with the investment / category landscape
- Marketing: work alongside Ascension’s marketing team to implement and manage marcomms on behalf of the tax-efficient funds
Who you are
- You are proactive, outgoing, self-motivated and fun to work with – you should be eager to learn and be able to adapt and integrate easily in new situations
- You thrive in an autonomous role, with excellent prioritisation, self-organisation, and execution skills
- You are able to keep cool under pressure and maintain confidence when interacting with stakeholders of all levels – internally and externally
- You have strong emotional intelligence and treat everyone around you with respect
- You have immense appreciation and curiosity for technologies that are changing the world we live in
- You are a self-starter who can take ownership and complete tasks with limited information and direction
- You are not afraid to question or challenge opinions
- You think creatively and independently about complex problems
- You have a deep and insatiable curiosity about people: what keeps them up at night, what drives their aspirations, and how to motivate them when they’re running on fumes
- You have strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- You can pick up new tools quickly
- Qualified to at least degree level in a relevant subject, or demonstrable evidence of knowledge gained from other sources and/or experience
- 1-3 years of professional working experience and a keen interest in the tech start-up ecosystem
- Experience of working in a VC or start-up environment
- Domain experience or interest in emerging tech
Your application will be carefully reviewed by the TPC team and, if selected, you will have an initial screening call with a TPC representative.
If selected, we will put you forward to the company for their consideration.