Wanted: Head of Data and Insights
We’re a multi-award-winning drinks and technology start-up on a mission to disrupt the drinks industry.
We’re re-imagining online drinks retail from the ground up, using cutting edge technology and fanatical customer service to build a company we want to be customers of and create unexpected delight as we help people explore, buy and enjoy high end whisky and other spirits.
In everything we do, we are disruptive innovators; it is baked into our DNA to challenge orthodoxy and received wisdom wherever we find it.
We’ve grown a lot since we were just a few kids in a shed with big dreams, but we haven’t lost our hunger to build something great, and we’re looking for people who have the same passion for making things better to join us on that journey.
In the last 10 years we’ve become the number 1 player in our industry, but we’ve barely gotten started. We’re excited about the future, so if you’d like to come and help us build it, read on!
The work is exceptionally challenging and complex. You will have a strong bias for action, and proactively use analytics to continuously improve and advise our teams.
You’ll report to the Finance Director, and will be responsible for developing systems to generate insights about Atom’s customers, suppliers, products and services, decide on which KPIs to measure and lead projects and initiatives across the business. You will be one step ahead to help shape our strategy and your views will count.
You will initially be directly responsible for the leadership of a team of 3 Analysts and Data Scientists and will form a close team with the Commercial Analysts who partner directly with our 2 major business units and the Data Engineers within our technology development team.
In your first 30 days you’ll go on a crash course to understand one of the most complex vertically integrated businesses around.
In your first 60 days you’ll be proactively providing data, translating it into valuable business insights easily consumed by non-experts in analytics. Decision making will be underpinned by the work you have done.
In your first 90 days you will re-architect and implement how we use data. You will identify opportunities where business intelligence can be used to drive the customer’s desired outcomes.
Then the real work begins.
For the first few months you’ll need to be in the office at least 2 or 3 days a week to get under the skin of the business; after that 1 day a week should be sufficient.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Own data end to end, including insights and analytics, driving efficiency and frugality throughout the business
- Review and revitalise how we utilise business analytics as a whole, ensuring that our ways of working and impact we make are fit for purpose – even if that means tearing something up and starting from scratch.
- Lead multiple analytics projects providing insights to ensure critical Commercial, Supplier, Product and Consumer business decisions are insight driven.
- Design, develop and improve BI reports across the business, working with key stakeholders to capture requirements (e.g. collecting, analysing and presenting product information to suppliers to facilitate a win-win relationship).
- Be the technical link between analytics and Dev, bringing coding (Python, C#) / programming expertise (SQL in particular) to the table in analytics.
- Working cross function to proactively surface and visualise insights to fuel the ideation and creation of new business strategies
- Recruit, retain and manage a team of analysts, developing them into a world-class data team
- You want to build an innovative and high performing Analytics function – made up of an all-star team, that can do what others can’t with data.
- You are highly intelligent, tenacious and motivated. You are utterly intolerant of corporate bullshit and mediocrity.
- You have a strong bias for action combined with a positive can-do attitude, you learn fast, and relish a challenge. You question things and need to understand them on a deep level. You get out of bed each morning excited to get cracking and make things better.
- You are exceptionally curious and creative – solving hard problems is what you live for.
- You love efficiency and hate waste in all its forms – you relentlessly automate and eliminate repetitive tasks. You are extremely proud of how little manual repetitive work your department does. You build a culture of continuous improvement.
- You question everything and are obsessive about deeply understanding everything around you – if you’re buying a new data management / analytics system then you will know more than the person selling it to you.
- You understand the true impact that a high functioning analytics team can have on a high growth company, and expect to be an active participant in the success of the business rather than a passive service provider.
Coupling great technology with passionate, capable people is how we win.
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to write code. You’ll be entirely unafraid to hack some code together to solve a problem (or learn a new programming language in a weekend for fun).
- Have strong SQL experience.
- Have strong data modelling and visualisation experience and capable of business partnering with various functions
- Have experience of leading and upskilling a data and insights team within a high growth, dynamic startup
- Have significant experience in a complex, seasonal full stack e-commerce operation
- Demonstrable track record of building (or rebuilding) systems from scratch and turning data into actionable commercial insights in an automated way
- Have very strong communication skills
- Have high EQ
- Have very high IQ
It would be great if you:
- Have a First Class STEM+ degree
- Understand how to work with and get the best out of software developers
- Believe technology is the solution to (almost) every problem
- Have experience using any of AWS Redshift, Athena, Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, Snowflake, Rivery
- Have experience of working with finance teams