The Portfolio Collective is on a mission to inspire and support millions of portfolio professionals around the world and change the way the world works. We were set up by Ben Legg (former COO of Google Europe) in July of 2020 with our COO Fiona Chorlton-Voong and CTO Jesus Iniesta. We are now a team of 12 (and growing!) and we are all passionate about shaping the future of work.
Since our launch in 2020, we have scaled rapidly, with key achievements including:
- Attracted 150,000+ unique visitors to date
- Signed up 6,000+ professionals in our community across 191 countries
- Hosted 200+ events and launched two masterclasses
- Run 10 cohorts of our Catapult course receiving 100% x 5* reviews on Trustpilot
- Introduced a burgeoning Talent Matching service supporting startups and scaleups to find top Talent
- Achieved early revenue traction of £20,000 per month run rate
- Built a tangible plan to achieve an annual revenue run rate of >£2m by end 2022
- Raised over £800k to date, including a successful crowdfund for our members
You can find out more about us, the community and our future plans by visiting our website and viewing our investor video Invest in the Portfolio Collective.
What is Talent Partnerships for Startups?
Traditional headhunters are slow and charge a massive success fee. These two flaws make them unsuitable for early-stage companies. We are filling this gap with our Talent Partnerships business division that matches our community members of portfolio professionals looking for meaningful work with startups and scaleups looking to find top talent.
We started piloting our Talent Partnerships for Startups at the end of 2021. Since then we have worked with numerous clients, including some of the most exciting and fast growing VC-backed companies in the UK.
So far, we have filled roles including Chairperson, C-level execs, industry experts, product designers, strategy and operations consultants and more. We have received outstanding feedback on our unique and refreshing approach to recruitment – faster, cheaper, better – which will continue to give us repeat clients and referrals.
What is the role?
The main purpose of the Business Development Programme is to drive and support the growth and success of Talent Partnerships and TPC, by driving sales and awareness, building relationships with startups and scaleups and improving traction in the market with prospects and clients. In essence, you will take the lead for growing the client pipeline and winning new business for the Talent Partnerships business.
Key Role Responsibilities
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Building a strong pipeline of new prospects by using high-quality market research
- Taking responsibility for lead generation through a mix of prospecting, cold outreach, LinkedIn and community events within the startup and scaleup world
- Building and demonstrating knowledge of our offering and find ways to ensure these appeal to prospects
- Managing the prospect pipeline and maintaining impeccable admin and updating all activities in our CRM (Pipedrive)
- Collaborating with our CXO to develop and implement new and improved business development strategies to ensure sales targets are met
Who are you
We are looking for a hard working, results driven and confident individual who can hit the ground running and drive the growth of our Talent Matching business from day one
- 2 – 5+ years experience in a B2B business development or growth-related role
- Hands-on experience in outbound sales
- Startup or scaleup experience ideally with experience in recruitment, marketplaces, communities – or similar
- Experience in working with sales KPIs to drive conversation
Likely personality traits
- Highly ambitious – you thrive in a commission-focused role and are continually looking to improve and take on more responsibility
- Organised – you are able to juggle multiple pipeline clients simultaneously
- Customer-centric – you are capable of selling in a consultative and non-salesy way
- Entrepreneurial – you will continue to innovate to ensure continuous improvement; you will also empathise with our clients – who are all entrepreneurs themselves
- High EQ – strong communicator able to manage multiple internal and external stakeholder
- Pragmatic – capable of prioritising and getting results in all circumstances.
- Doer – not afraid to get stuck in to support the team when required
- Hard-working – you’ll do whatever it takes to get the job done and won’t get demotivated by rejection
- Ambitious – you’re motivated by success and are continually looking to improve and take on more responsibility
What we can offer you
You will receive training in the services that we offer. Compensation will be commission based, with the potential to earn £1,500 per deal. After a trial period, top performers will have the option to join as a salaried employee with uncapped commission and OTE in excess of £100k. You will also then be eligible to receive stock options in The Portfolio Collective.
The role is a portfolio role, with flexible working hours and remote working.
In addition, we offer free lifetime access to the community we are building, and the opportunity to work alongside a world class team with decades of experience in startups and unicorn building.
Simple Next Steps
Your application will be carefully reviewed by the TPC team and, if selected, you will have an initial screening call with a TPC representative.
If successful, you will be asked to complete a short case study and present this to some of the TPC team including our CEO Ben Legg.
If you pass this stage… Welcome to the team!