We are regularly asked (by clients) for fractional Chiefs of Staff who understand the startup and scaleup journey. Most young companies need a Chief of Staff, to provide CEOs & leadership teams with leverage, minimise the chaos and help companies deliver on their ambitious plans. Many successful portfolio professionals (i.e. members of The Portfolio Collective) also need a fractional Chief of Staff, to support their activities. Chiefs of Staff provide support for strategy, planning, execution, leadership, research, communication and special projects (e.g. fundraising, partnerships). They also often run support functions such as Finance, HR and Legal.
If interested, please ensure that your TPC profile is complete, and in the ‘My Portfolio Career – Roles’ section, ensure that you include the role Chief of Staff.
The role responsibilities might vary slightly depending on the client, but generally involve:
Prioritisation & Execution
- Help leaders define and prioritise key initiatives and oversee their implementation
- Own planning and OKR process end-to-end (setting/ monitoring/ execution)
- Define the cadence of leadership and broader company meetings
- Ensure that each meeting has the right objectives, attendees, agenda and follow-ups
Strategy & Insights
- Serve as the strategic advisor to the CEO
- Provide the leadership team with the latest market insights
- Plan and lead collaborative/ brainstorming events (e.g. off-sites, quarterly prioritisation exercises)
- Write cross-functional presentations, such as strategy, investor updates, all hands
- Coordinate board meetings – agendas, attendees, materials, pre-reading, follow-up
- Monitor CEO emails and social media inboxes to provide the first level of screening and prioritisation. Draft responses on behalf of the CEO
- Lead process when hiring senior roles – job descriptions, case studies etc.
- Serve as a liaison between the CEO and the rest of the company
- Draft and cascade major internal communications
- Lead early stages of new cross-functional initiatives – partnerships, corporate development, new business lines etc.
- Lead hiring processes when required – drafting job descriptions, outlining the interview process, and screening candidates
- Stand in for key functional leadership positions when vacant, e.g. HR, Finance, Legal
Typically, any Chief of Staff role would require
- 6+ years of professional experience
- 2+ years in management consulting, or similar fast-paced analytical roles
- Project management experience, including leading cross-functional projects
- Experience at a rapidly growing start-up, scale-up or other entrepreneurial venture
Some additional experience that might help you stand out in certain contexts might include:
- 2:1 degree or higher from a top-tier university
- Industry-specific degree and/ or experience
- Experience as a fractional consultant / portfolio professional
- Data analytics, financial forecasting and valuation experience
- Previous Founder Associate/ Head of Operations/ Chief of Staff experience
Fractional Chief of Staff roles typically pay £30-75 per hour, depending on experience. Sometimes there can be bonuses, commission or stock options on top of this.
If you would like to be matched with such roles, please ensure that your TPC profile is complete, and in the ‘My Portfolio Career – Roles’ section, include the role Chief of Staff. This way, when we’re searching for candidates suitable for Chief of Staff opportunities, we will find you.
Also remember to complete the rest of your profile, to bring your offerings, skills and experiences to life. Complete, compelling profiles lead to opportunities.